Monday, July 1, 2013

Digital Native in a Digital World

I would consider myself a digital native, for the most part.  I use Facebook, Instagram, and Netflix frequently.  I've tried many digital tools, mostly for socializing, music, and writing, then ditched them for a variety of reasons.

I currently am active on Facebook, although I rarely provide updates for my 'friends.'  I typically use Facebook to help organize punk shows, stay in touch with friends not in the area, and feast upon the zany updates of my 'friends'.  Leslie told me I was a Facebook 'lurker', which sounds creepy, but is an accurate assessment of my habits on Facebook.

I also use Instagram.  Many of my college friends are interested in photography and frequently update their Instagrams.  I probably glance at it once a week, or when I take a photo of my dog doing something amusing.

My friends have also started to use Vine, which seems fun.  They are slightly more savvy than me with new social media technology and I've found that I've followed their lead with many of these new-fangled technologies.  For example, they made a video out of clips from my brief cameo on Late Night with Conan O'Brien from when I was in high school.

I frequently utilize Netflix in the classroom.  I introduced the TV show Freaks and Geeks to my students during the last week of school and they seemed to like it!

I've also dabbled in Twitter and Tumblr but am too busy to keep them up-to-date.  I've also had a few blogs where I rant about music but I haven't done that in a couple years.  

Overall, I get grumpy about the younger generation's obsession with the digital world and social media and their lack of interest in the 'real world.'  Iphones are as important to students as anything these days, and a huge symbol of social status, which makes me fear where the world is headed.  I hope this class will help me get over this paranoia.

Ultimately, I'm afraid of this:



No comments:

Post a Comment