Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tougher Standards: A Flawed Proposition


Alfie Kohn’s article “The Case Against Tougher Standards,” argues against much of the rhetoric we hear from politicians in the media about how we need to attempt to reform education.  One of the quotes that struck me that appears at the beginning of the article says that:

“People from parents to Presidents have begun to sound like a cranky, ill-informed radio talk-show host, with the result that almost anything can be done to students and to schools, no matter how ill-considered, as long as it is done in the name of ‘raising standards’ or ‘accountability.’  One is reminded of how a number of politicians, faced with the perception of high crime rates, resort to a get-tough, lock-‘em-up, law-and-order mentality.  This response plays well with the public, but is based on an exaggeration of the problem, a misanalysis of its causes, and a simplistic prescription that frequently ends up doing more harm than good.” (1)

            This quote reminded me of “The House I Live In,” a documentary I recently saw at The Cable Car in Providence.  The movie is about The Drug War, which was started in the 1970s by President Richard Nixon.  Initially, he put much money towards rehabilitation for drug addicts.  But, when he was running for re-election, he started to ‘resort to a get-tough, lock-‘em-up, law-and-order mentality that helped him to score political points/votes'.  He started putting more money towards prisons and tying funding to arrest numbers, and the system has only gotten.  I found it eerie how similar the drug war rhetoric was to the political rhetoric about education.

Kohn discusses his “Five fatal flaws [of tougher standards] and the first one struck me.  Kohn writes of the rhetoric on tougher standards: “1.  It gets motivation wrong.  Most talk of standards assumes that students ought to be thinking constantly about improving their performance.  This single-minded concern with results turns out to be remarkably simplistic.” (2) Yes, I find this idea to be inaccurate to students’ motivations.  In my best estimate, they are motivated to get whatever grade they need to get and move on to the next assignment.  There isn’t much thinking being done in this process.  They think about whatever they need to for the minimum amount of time needed.

The most disturbing quote I found from Kohn was when he was discussing the negative aspects of the No Child Left Behind Act.  He says that ‘we become a nation at risk of abandoning public education altogether.’ (4)  I was taken aback by the quote because there does seem like a movement in American education towards the private sector.  This alarms me: I was publicly educated from kindergarten through college.  Public education is more reasonably priced than any private institution.  I can’t say I’m an expert on private education – charter schools, etc. – but whenever I see the word ‘private’ attached to anything, I immediately think of money, profit, etc.  These things shouldn’t go together, yet that’s how it’s been for public education, so maybe it doesn’t matter?

I suppose this is a society-wide problem: how do we gauge something we can’t easily gauge.  In business, the hard numbers reflect success and failure.  Competitiveness makes sense: whoever has the best product makes the most money.  Yet, this model doesn’t seem to line up with worlds like education and law enforcement.  How do you make statistic for ‘positively influenced lives of people’?  How can you measure ‘teachable moments that stay with a stuent for the rest of their lives?  Aren’t these the intangibles that make a good teacher?  Isn’t that what is more important?  I can see where Kohn gets frustrated with tougher standards in education, and now that I’ve reread my blog post, I can see he’s pushed my buttons, too. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Corey,

    The documentary you discussed sounds interesting. I will search for it after I comment. The parallels of reform within different institutions are unbelievable and I also find it "eerie". Your point of private vs. public was thought provoking because it seems like every time your turn around there is a new charter school or mayoral academy. I don't see this as a negative thing but it begs the question, what about public sector?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how you say that kids are looking to do the minimum to basically pass the class. I have had more kids say that to me this year, more than ever. I gave a student a 75 on a test and I told him that if he had reflected more about the topic (keep in mind he is a great writer) he could easily have had a "B" or better. He was so surprised ... "Miss, I got a 75." I asked him why he didn't aim higher, why not aim for better. He laughed and told me I was crazy. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madonna, I find it so frustrating that AS A GROUP teachers do not know their kids. With all of the money and research in education, why isn't every faculty meeting dedicated to educating teachers as to what's going on with their kids. Instead, every one of us has to have this realization on our own. That is, "did you know that our students care more about their personal cell phones than they do about ANYTHING IN LIFE THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED OR WILL HAPPEN." It's incredible. Now, to not completely digress, I think that Kohn would say that if our students had the schools they deserve, then their perception of cell phones would be different: school or learning might even be considered as important as checking F****** facebook. I'll try to keep from screaming swears tomorrow in my presentation because I'm quite passionate about education in this respect. If you see me pinching my leg hard, aim your questions at Geoff! Ha!

      ben

      Delete
  3. from Kohns comments on common core (Madonnas blog):"the current successful push has come principally from corporate executives, politicians, and testing companies." When Kohn writes, "‘we become a nation at risk of abandoning public education altogether", he might not mean literally abandoning it, but witnessing the transformation to preparing kids for the job market and competition in the global economy. Kohn also says of the common core, "It's not about doing well, but about beating others. And it's not about intellectual depth and passion for learning, but about dollars and cents."

    Ben brought Kohn's use of the term "nation at risk" to light as a reference to Reagan's landmark report. GK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corey, I don't know if it's good or bad that you're not going to be with us tomorrow night. I say that because you seem to be about as passionate about this reading as I am. I think this is why I chose this reading in the first place.

    In any case, I'd like you to know that the "nation at risk" quote sent my mind right to the privatization of education as well. I think it's a good conversation point. I wasn't immediately concerned with money and profit. In fact, I thought about individuality of the private school to be able to perform like I think a school should without all the bullshit that exists in my school. I'm just thinking about all the policies and philosophies that I disagree with and I'm labeling them as "bad." However, if a private school held all of my personal philosophies then I might need to start getting recommendations in order. Teacher evaluations and Common Core stuff is not the same in the private schools right?

    Enjoy parent conferences. Thank you for your input and I'm sorry that I emailed you this morning. For some reason I could see your blog at home but not at school.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys, sorry I couldn't be there today, it seems like we would've had quite the lively discussion. Perhaps we can chat next week a little about the reading. I found an article in The New Yorker that I think people will be interested in reading. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete