Monday, October 7, 2013

Nakkula Chapts 4 and 5


The experience of reading Chapter 4 in Nakkula’s “Understanding Youth” left me a little cold.  Thankfully, Chapter 5 recaptured my attention and seemed to have more practical ideas.  In the end, I was much more captivated by Chapter 5.

Why did chapter 4 frustrate me?  To start, I’m getting a little tired of the “problems at home” premise for every high-risk behavior student.  Aren’t there students who have great home lives who get in trouble in school?  Haven’t we learned that many of these problems are complicated and nuanced and don’t all fit into one category?  Why are all these counselors portrayed as superheroes?  This couldn’t be further from the truth… 

The next issue I had was the fact that Lorena was able to join rowing as opposed to basketball – isn’t that playing a sport still?  I’m unclear why that she would be allowed to row but she couldn’t play basketball.  Couldn’t she have learned the same extracurricular skills she acquired from rowing while playing basketball?  Maybe I’m being nitpicky here, but if you’re disqualified from one sport, doesn’t it count for all?  Isn’t that one major reason why high-risk students go downhill: they can’t play sports, the one aspect of school they’re good at, so they give up on everything else?   

Extracurricular activities are important, but frequently participation costs money.  Low-income students are at a disadvantage.  I think Nakkula should’ve touched on this in the chapter.  Project IF is nice but like this entire chapter, a bit too idealistic to prevent me from rolling my eyes.

Whenever I read about projects like Project IF, it automatically triggers my memories of the television show The Wire.  In the fourth season, the main focus is on a group of four 8th grade boys in inner city Baltimore.  By the end of the series (spoiler alert) all but one of the boys makes it into productive society.  The other three end up on the street, involved in the drug trade.  That’s likely the percentage of these programs: one in four make it.  Otherwise, this isn’t the end-all, be-all answer to our plights.  It’s way more complicated than that.  Our society needs to take a hard look at many facets of what creates these issues.

I also started getting frustrated by the next section of this chapter.  The author asserts that women are not socialized for math and science careers.  That is probably true, yet there is little to no evidence in his argument.  Where’s the study?  Where are the examples?  I recall more women than men in my AP math and science courses in high school, but less in college.  I’d be more curious about why this is the case.  Still, does the author think we already know this injustice before we’re reading?  There needed more explanation here. 

OK now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, I see that I’m not focusing on what we’re trying to discover: how do students learn?  Sometimes students do learn from their extracurricular activities.  I only wish there was less of a generalized approach to this chapter and more of a nuanced approach.  How I wish I could make all my troubled students join the track team and discover the joys of distance running.  Unfortunately, that’s not how the real world works.

       Hey, the less-annoyed Corey is back!  And he has less negative thoughts about chapter 5! 

Chapter 5 linked more to the idea of identity and relationships that were found in chapters 2 and 3.  The interpersonal theory of psychiatry – that mental health is linked to evolving interpersonal history – was a profound thought for me.  I interpreted this theory as a solid argument that mental health problems don’t have easy black and white answer.  Issues of this magnitude could stem from many difficulties!  Interpersonal history could cause many personality problems! 
On p. 81, Nakkula writes that “time and again students tell us they work hard “for” the teachers they like, teachers by whom they feel respected and valued or, as some students put it: teachers who treat us like real people.”   This idea came up in my interview with an adolescent: the student said the more comfortable she was with the teacher, the more likely she would take risks with learning.  This idea also ties into the importance of extracurricular activities for students.  The adolescent I interview also said that she likes to work hard in English class for her drama teacher, since she has a relationship with her outside of class.  This section further solidifies my idea that relationships are important with teaching students.
  Further on p. 81, Nakkula writes “[u]nfortunately, so much of education has become a numbers game.”  Nakkula is referencing the high-stakes testing and scores that have over-taken our classrooms.  Testing does suck for teachers and students, but our sound bite, knee-jerk culture isn’t going away anytime soon.  I’ve been trying to look at these unfortunate teaching truths now more like a scientific equation, where there’s a constant never changes and is always going to be annoying.  Gravity can be annoying, too.  But that’s true of any job.  There are annoying points.  We try to find strategies to work around them, and do our best to not let it get to us.   
The next section, chumship, seemed like a sensible idea, though unfortunately named.  Adolescents finally start to learn empathy from their peers around the age of 12.  Nakkula explains this stage as a complex network of relationships that optimizes opportunities for learning.
On p. 88, Nakkula discusses interpersonal understanding, or, the evolution of child and adolescent sensorimotor and moral cognition.  He puts this evolution into different levels of understanding.  This goes along with the ideas of identity we learned about in chapters 2 and 3.  More empathy of others allows adolescents to learn to collaborate and negotiate with others.  Though these negotiations are not always healthy or wise (diffuse personality), they do help adolescents form a view of the world.  Students who have empathy problems probably find it difficult to negotiate or collaborate with others and have fewer opportunities for growth.  Adolescents need these ‘authentic’ opportunities in order to connect to their own self and promote these ideas in others (95).  When we are attempting to help students learn, we must keep these growth opportunities in mind.

1 comment:

  1. I must say, I am a high school student and I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. I want to pursue a career as a high school teacher when I grow up, and it's nice to see things on here from a teaching perspective.

    I especially enjoy this post because I agree with nearly all of your points, and one in particular that I so dearly wish you had elaborated more extensively on.

    "Why are all these counselors portrayed as superheroes?"

    The counselor at my school lacks the emotional capacity to understand and empathize with students. Instead, students are made out to feel like fools for being upset or having problems, simply because it's not an experience that the counselor has had to deal with in her own life, and therefore, she finds it necessary to belittle one for feeling that way. For example, in one of my visits there, I mentioned that I was having family problems, and went a little further into detail about my relationship with all of my family members. Her response was something along the lines of "So what? That's not a real reason to be upset." In no way has her actions or words ever helped me, and I think it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete