Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ayers Part 2

On page 74, Ayers writes: “So here’s my dilemma: I need to reconcile two opposing ideas within a limited space.”  He is referring to the Sisyphus-like struggle of attempting to be creative while teaching while also sticking to the standards.  The quote reminded me of this famous F. Scott Fitzgerald line:  

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."
                So how do we reconcile these difficulties?  Do we give up and only do creative assignments and forget about the standards, consequences be damned?  Or do we go straight for the standards, ignore the engaging personalities in the room, and satisfy administration?  Obviously, we have to find a happy medium, a place where we abide by the standards, and yet have a dynamic approach to teaching those standards.  This reminds me of the course I took last summer with Lesley Bogad.  We discussed how to use new technology in the classroom while also walking the standards line.  I actually haven’t experienced any problems so far with this, since the Common Core curriculum seems to be driven towards using technology and media.  But this is something I’ve been thinking about this past summer and during this new school year.   

On p. 79, Ayers writes “The thing to do I have discovered is to learn from the bees themselves.”  This is from the anecdote about a beekeeper needing to be aware of the variety of how bees work, and how different hives work in different ways.  Ayers was making the analogy that caring for bees is a lot like caring for students.  I appreciated the metaphor and have been attempting to use that philosophy in my classroom.  In fact, I’ve been using exit slips and have been finding them to be incredibly useful, especially the questions students ask that I’ve missed.  They help fill in the gaps.  For example, I was teaching about a bare-knuckled fighter, John L. Sullivan, who was an Irish immigrant’s son in the 1880s.  I told the students that the Irish were discriminated against because they were immigrants, which is common in our history.  I didn’t explain further.  There were a few questions about this on the exit slips, and I realized I had under-estimated their background knowledge on the subject.  Exit slips have been an easy way for me to see how my students have been learning and what else they want to learn about the subject. 
  

On p. 87, Ayers greets his administration with a good ol’ “Boy Howdy!”  This phrase is most likely a sarcastic remark to them entering his classroom.  “Boy Howdy” was the tagline for a 1970s semi-popular rock n’ roll magazine, Creem.  The editors and writers are considered pioneers of what we now call alternative/progressive-minded culture.  What does this have to do with teaching, Corey?  Well, I’ve been hesitant to look at teaching in the alternative/progressive way that I’ve learned about from alt magazines like Creem.  Yet, it seems like students do respond positively to assignments when they’re more hands-on and creative, or ‘alternative’.  I have to strike a balance with this, as well.  I’ve been hesitant about going in this direction, I’m but am making my way there.


On p. 97, Ayers writes “Greatness in teaching, too, requires a serious encounter with autobiography.  Who are you?  How did you come to take on your views and outlooks?...Of all the knowledge teachers need to draw on, self-knowledge is most important.”  This quote resonated with me more than anything else in the book and is one of the major points I’ll try to take away from this reading.  I’ve been avoiding telling students about my personal life in any capacity.  I thought that being impersonal was a smart way to keep an arm’s distance away from students, to avoid being their ‘friends.’  In fact, I’ve found giving away small tidbits about my personal life makes it easier to build a bridge to my students, to connect with them, and therefore make them comfortable with me.  I think building these relationships will help improve the learning that goes on in my classroom.  Students won’t hesitate to talk to me if they have questions.  All in all, I hope keeping this in mind will help my overall teaching habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment